Chalice Lighter: Sha’Ron Glass
Process Observer: Allen Lee

Board President: Jennifer Thilo
Board president Elect: Sean Golan
Financial Trustee: Jason Delaney
Secretary: Maureen McAndrews
Board Members: Jen Bain, Sha’Ron T. Glass, John Duggar, John Merkel, Allen Lee

Board Expectations for the year:
*Complete: Successful Capital Campaign
*Engage our congregation in renewing our Values, Vision, Mission and Ends
*Powerful Question:
Building on our resilience, what transformations will we develop and nurture within ourselves, our congregation, and the world?
*Take A Stand: “We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association covenant to affirm and promote: journeying toward spiritual wholeness by working to build a diverse multicultural Beloved Community by our actions that accountably dismantle racism and other oppressions in ourselves and our institutions.” https://www.8thprincipleuu.org/background

Thank you messages for the month: Barbara Begner, Tony Stringer, George Macon, Kay Johnson.

Circle of Connection

Share something you do to nourish your spirit during challenging times:

Journaling and writing poetry; spiritual reading and meditation; giving neighbor’s cat some attention; brought some new roller skates (pink and purple); painting; picking up my guitar to play Blackbird; gratitude for my job.

Announcements

Visioning Workshops:
Allen has been asked to participate in a Zoom group with the youth. There is an opportunity for a board member to participate in the Enquirer’s session on 9/27. Jennifer T will do this unless someone else volunteers.

Executive Report – Rev. Taryn Strauss
Taryn gave an update on the AVOM; the report has been posted in Slack.

The Work of the Board- Maureen McAndrews
Decisive Action
August minutes were approved on Slack. Revised schedule for Vision/Mission/Ends work was approved.

Report from Finance Trustee – Jason Delaney
Increased revenue and decreased expenses;  there is a slim possibility that we will make up the predicted $266,005 shortfall. We are spending less, one reason for this is savings.

Motion to approve – Jason; Second – Sha’Ron; Approved.

Capital Campaign Committee – Maureen McAndrews
Things are looking good with close to $3MM pledged so far. Visits are being made and more pledges received. More visitors are being recruited; there are many pledging units that have not been selected for visits. Glenn has a training session 9/24 with one person scheduled. These will be conducted on a regular basis.

Project Phoenix Committee – DeAnn Peterson

The committee feels that they are in a good position (even though a member resigned from the committee). Things are mostly in the hands of the architect and construction manager.

Board is thinking of taking a more advisory role toward the committee. Per policy governance, oversight of the committee is an executive function and should, therefore be overseen by Taryn Strauss.

When asked if she had any names in mind of others who might be added to PP, DeAnn shared a spreadsheet of responsibilities and how they would be covered by herself, Carol Ann Arvan and Bryce Thomason. They don’t think another member is needed at this time, but could be reconsidered if a need arises for additional expertise. 

Everything they do is documented in Teamwork. DeAnn will make a tickler file with names and contact info for everyone involved in the project. Having all the contacts in one place in case anything were to happen to the team, this would allow others to  pick up the pieces. 

The board approved this proposal. Jason asked for a monthly report of what has been accomplished and how much has been spent.  Some of this is already captured in the financial reports; Bryce will make sure the board has a line item of this. they will be tracking the budget and expenses now that we have money coming in from the capital campaign.

Healthy Relations Committee – John Merkel
The committee is close to being finished with two  documents it has been working on: Covenant Breaches, and HRC Mission and Functions. They plan to send the documents out to the congregation in November to get feedback and then roll them out early next year (flyers, uuca.org page) to let the congregation know what the HRC does.

ARAOMC Committee – Allen Lee
They are interested in recruiting members for the committee; they are in the process of creating a relationship with the HRC.

ByLaw Committee – Sean Golan
No actionable items have been identified at this time.

Nominating Committee – Jen Bain
First meeting has been scheduled for November 7. It was difficult to find someone to chair the committee but Laura Yamashita has agreed to do this.

Closing
Process Observation- Allen Lee

We did observe our covenant. A disagreement was handled well and everyone was respectful. We did get off schedule because of an addition to the agenda but were  able to get back on track.

There were a couple of high energy moments: The  circle of connection; DeAnn’s report- her positive energy and enthusiasm. Also noted was the work of those on Capital Campaign and the commitment the congregation has shown.

Low energy occurred during the conversation about P, but the discussion ended well.

Closing Words – Sha’Ron Glass

X