Thank you to all who attended our vigil to mourn the lives lost in the horrific murders of March 16th, 2021. We continue our commitment to seeking justice for the Asian American and Pacific Islander Community. Find educational resources here, sign up for Bystander Intervention training here, and stay up-to-date with different action items here. We are honored to stand in solidarity with our beloved AAPI community members.

Chalice Lighting

Announcements
Retreat: June 12-13, 2020
General Assembly, June 24-28
UUCA 10 Credentialed Delegates

  • Board: Jennifer Thilo; Sean Golan
  • Congregants: June Lester, Karen Reagle, Jim Kelly, Frank Casper, Mel Shenstone, Anthony Stringer, Sekayi Stringer
  • Staff: Ayanna Kafi Stringer, Beck Schillizzi

Board Expectations for the Year:

  • To be Determined at the Upcoming Board Retreat
  • Take A Stand: “We, the member congregations of the Unitarian Universalist Association covenant to affirm and promote: journeying toward spiritual wholeness by working to build a diverse multicultural Beloved Community by our actions that accountability dismantle racism and other oppressions in ourselves and our institutions.” https://www.8thprincipleuu.org/background

Thank You Messages for the Month:

  • The Board agreed to recognize RE leaders.

Circle of Connection:
What I have to offer our congregation this year…what do I need from fellow Board members to help me do this…

  • John Duggar-Grateful for the 2019-20 Board to have established a way forward for our new property by unanimous vote. I hope we will continue to take on and support each other for the hard decisions this year.John Merkel-bring a love of UUCA. A mathematician by training is a good problem solver. Need support to figure out my role.
  • Jason Delaney- Bring a non-anxious presence, and attitude of gratitude. Big picture and historical perspective. Need clear communication and information on how to do that
  • Maureen – enthusiasm and motivation to serve UUCA
  • Bryce- new role working for UUCA- see myself as an expediter, facilitate visions and completion. I am here to serve so let me know how I can best do that.
  • Taryn- I bring clarity of vision and interesting in the process and curiosity about how we get there. I am very interested in liberating the leadership for this community’s mission. Keep us focused on larger goals. I need this board to think of this as spiritual work.
  • Sha’Ron – I will bring energy and enthusiasm around implementing ARAOMC values in the life and works of the Congregation. I need my fellow Board members to get me back on track if I start to go off the rails during meetings.

Board Education

  • UUCA Bylaws:
    https://www.uuca.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2.2-UUCA-BYLAWS-amended-December-13-2015.docx.pdf
  • The Board will familiarize itself with these before the retreat.
    Board Policies: https://www.uuca.org/wp-content/uploads/2020/05/2.4-BOARD-POLICIES-as-amended-November-21-2017_with-appendices.docx.pdf
  • Board Training on the UUA.org: https://www.uua.org/leadership/programs/board-training/governance-basics
  • Board Meetings: Every month on the Fourth Tuesday:

May 26, 2020 06:00 PM
Jun 23, 2020 06:00 PM
Jul 28, 2020 06:00 PM
Aug 25, 2020 06:00 PM
Sep 22, 2020 06:00 PM
Oct 27, 2020 06:00 PM
Nov 24, 2020 06:00 PM
Dec 22, 2020 06:00 PM
Jan 26, 2021 06:00 PM
Feb 23, 2021 06:00 PM
Mar 23, 2021 06:00 PM

  • For each meeting a process observer, host to bring food when we meet in person, and someone to light chalice and provide opening and closing words. Maureen will develop a spreadsheet in Google Docs.
  • UUCA Committee Descriptions

Executive Report

  • Annual Vision of Ministry (AVOM) Overview
    • Deferred until the Board retreat; Taryn will work with the staff on them.
    • Recap of AVOM Goals
    • 1-Manage Transition of Ministry
    • 2-Support Diversity and Inclusion
    • 3-Chart the Path from Visitor to Leader
    • 4-Forge Community Partnerships
    • Reaffirm commitment to Policy Governance
    • Best Practices for the Board

The Work of the Board

  • Decisive Action
    The Minutes from the April 2020 Board Meeting have not yet been approved via email vote.
  • Secretary of the Board to be elected by the Board of Trustees
    • Move to appoint Maureen McAndrews to the position of Board Secretary for 2020-2021.
    • Second: Sean Golan
    • Motion Passed unanimously, without discussion.
  • Teamwork or Google Docs
    • Slack for communications?
    • Secure Slack Channel for Board Communications
    • Google Drive for longer term storage
    • Google Drive for Board- invite Deb Freer?
    • Jen Bain- Revise file naming conventions so that Board Members can find documents easily.
    • Permissions for G-doc to remove former Board members from folders?
    • The Board voted to use Slack & Google Drive.
    • Bryce will help set up the files & permissions.

Board Retreat

  • Safety Plan TBD
  • Start: Friday 5:00pm-8:00pm
  • Comfort level for all involved?
  • In-person- Visit 2650
  • Shade, bathrooms, amenities?
  • 2 hours max
  • Retreat Slack training?
  • Retreat G-docs training?

Membership Requirements:

  • Motion: I move that the Board recognize that “Membership Register Book” includes electronic adendi as kept by th Membership & Social Justice Director, and that electronic signatures are a valid way to satisfy the membership requirement to sign the “Membership Register Book”
  • Second: Jason Delaney
  • Motion passed unanimously, without discussion.

 

Open Question:
What Question do we, as a Board, want to explore this year? To be determined at Retreat (Last year the Board decided that Poverty was the wound in Atlanta that we felt most called to heal.)

  • Rev. Strauss How does this Board want to engage the Congregation?
  • The Board will think about what committees it wants to keep, which ones need clarifying and the purpose of the various committees.
  • Move to have Board Liaisons act as advisors and link between the committee Board, and less of the facilitators and chairs of committees.

Report from Finance Trustee

  • What is the best way to format the reports going forward
  • Lead time? 1 week plus a reminder the day before. Best way to Deliver reports? Slack
  • Highlights/executive summary
    • April is commonly a low-revenue month- this year is no different.
    • Adding an “Implied Pledge” category for tracking givers who have not actually pledged, but reliably give. This way, more accurate pledge tracking will be possible.
    • Under budget for expenses
    • Partially due to Nicole Presley’s temporary transfer to the UUA’s Get Out the Vote staff.
    • Hired three staff members in April, so next month’s expenses will increase.
    • PP Loan- anticipate $108,000.00 borrowed will be forgiven, however planning to
    • Membership Social Justice Coordinator is being paid out of a Development gift.
    • Reminder of the Board’s fiduciary duty to monitor and direct the finances of our non-profit organization. There is Board insurance, to cover liability that may arise.
      Motion:
  • Sean Golan moved to approve the Finance reportR for April.
  • Second: John Merkel
  • Motion Passes unanimously, without discussion.

Project Phoenix/Capital Committee- Need a Liaison

  • Time to pivot from a project to a campaign that is more transparent to & inclusive of the congregation.
  • Clearly define roles
  • Need Liaison that is aware of both PP & CC?
  • Would also coordinate & act as spokesperson & enthusiasm facilitator with the congregation?

Healthy Relations Committee

  • Lots done this year
  • Continue to define the role & purpose of the committee
    • Education
    • Resource repository for conflict resolution
  • Very close to being ready to roll out to congregation
  • Looking to next steps

Stewardship and Generosity Committee

  • Job description delivered to Nominating Committee in early 2020
  • Bylaw was approved December 2019.

ARAOMC Committee

  • Christian Harden has agreed to be Chair of the ARAOMC Counsel
  • Committee created a proposed and council covenant to defined its mission
    • Counsel is meant to have 5-7 members
    • Currently have 3-4 Council members
    • Committee still needs to work on the final 2-3 members.
  • Sha’Ron wants to step out of the Committee Liaison role so she can become a council member.

Bylaws Committee

  • Additional Bylaw issues
  • Absentee voting
  • Bylaw amendment recording procedure
  • Issues from Virtual Congregation
    • Membership Requirements
    • Healthy Relations Covenant
    • E-signature
    • Online Membership?
  • Sean Golan ready to continue serving on the Bylaws committees

Nominating Committee

  • Liaison needed

Closing

Process Observation

  • Observe Covenant? Yes
  • High Point: Jason’s presentation & Jennifer’s facilitation of making room
  • Low Point: People not wearing masks on Beltline
  • Lots of ground covered

Extinguishing the Chalice
Let us begin again in love.

X