Monthly Worship Themes
UUCA’s worship services are organized around monthly spiritual themes that play a significant part in the development of a well-grounded religious and spiritual life. Seriously engaging them and other similar religious/theological themes could change your life!
One of the main resources we will be drawing on comes from Touchstones Journal, which is published monthly as a joint ministry project of the Pacific Western Region of the UUA and First Universalist Church of Denver. Just listen to the resources that each edition of Touchstones Journal offers:
- An introduction to whatever the theme of the month happens to be
- A Wisdom Story for All Ages
- Faith & Theology that explores the theme in-depth
- Family Matters for use by parents and religious educators with materials on the theme and two to three activities to explore the theme with children
- Small Group Discussion Guide for adults
- Readings from the Common Bowl(a quotation on the theme for each day of the month)
- Contemplations (a guide to go deeper and an invitation to receive a brief reading three days a week)
- A Wordle on the theme and articles, poetry, and Creative Commons licensed photos as space allows
These resources are amazing! Especially exciting is how they will open up opportunities for family-based religious exploration, and also how they will support a deepened spiritual focus for individuals and small groups.
Here are the monthly themes for August 2015-May 2016, and with each one, there will be an accompanying Touchstones Journal posted with all the materials listed above:
- August 2016: Covenant
- September 2016: Compassion
- October 2016: Freedom/Responsibility
- November 2016: Formation
- December 2016: Humility
- January 2017: Transcendence
- February 2017: Prayer
- March 2017: Evil
- April 2017: Beauty
- May 2017: Creation
As we enter into our 2015-2016 program year, you are invited to open your heart to a new way of taking what happens on Sunday into the rest of your week. The material in the Touchstones Journal will help facilitate this tremendously. If you belong to one of our small groups, consider following the schedule of themes as a way of creating synergy possibilities between what happens in worship and what happens in your small group conversations. The same thing goes if you are working to sustain and deepen a private spiritual practice. Allow the monthly themes to touch your heart and take you to some deep places.