Faith in Action
UUCA is a community dedicated to raising up people with a passion for social and economic justice who work together for human rights and a sustainable environment. UUCA’s Justice Network provides the leadership and coordination to support and encourage the members of UUCA to act—individually and collectively—on their passions for justice within the framework of Unitarian principles.
The Justice Network sponsors an email discussion list. Members and newcomers alike are invited to sign up and join the conversation.
For more info about UUCA’s justice work, contact Rev. Jane Thickstun at email@example.com or 404-634-5134 ext 215.
December 2013: Seeking Social Justice Coordinating Team
UUCA has a long history of making an impact through Social Justice work. In the past few years, however, there has been no team in place to coordinate the congregation’s various activities. As UUCA envisions a continued bright future in Social Justice initiatives, there is a need for a greater sense of teamwork among our players. Working closely with Rev. Makar, Rev. Thickstun is looking to form a team to help accomplish this. The success of the Social Justice Coordinating Team (SJCT) depends on the active engagement in meaningful and productive activities and requires strong lay leadership.
Initially, the team will function as a task force to take a broad view of the congregation’s Social Justice program as a whole and to identify where it needs to go. For instance, should there be a closer connection with justice leaders of other UU congregations in our cluster or state, and with justice leaders in other, local faith communities? Should UUCA initiate a new congregation-wide Social Justice project? To what extent does UUCA wish to participate in denominational initiatives?
The goal is for the team to give ongoing oversight and direction to the Social Justice programming at UUCA, not to function only as a temporary task force. It is envisioned that this team will stay in place to oversee and coordinate this vital ministry. Some of the various responsibilities of this team will be:
- Supporting the work of UUCA’s varied Social Justice groups
- Allocating resources, including inserts in Order of Service, tables in Social Hall, linkages to worship, planning for a new worship year in advance, etc.
- Improving coordination with worship schedules
- Integrating Social Justice into the life of the congregation
- Providing communications and media outreach regarding social justice activities
- Advising ministers in how to best leverage their presence in Atlanta
Major requirements include:
- A current member of UUCA
- A commitment to the development process for at least two years
- A commitment to the overall well-being of Social Justice programming
- A commitment to the UUA’s seven principles
- An aptitude for strategic, high-level thinking
To assemble a solid and diverse SJCT, all congregants are encouraged to consider applying to serve on the team. For an application, please contact Rev. Jane Thickstun at firstname.lastname@example.org or 404-634-5134 xt. 215. Applicants will be asked to provide information on skills applicable to the role, i.e. project management, marketing, communications, event planning, etc.
Applications are due by Dec 31.