The BOARD POLICIES (as amended February 2015) may be viewed on-line by clicking here.
On April 21, 2007, the Board of Trustees officially adopted new policies using a model of policy-based governance. Policy-based governance is intended to:
- elevate the voice and vision of congregation as the driving force behind what we do
- empower and free congregants to work together creatively to realize their visions
- clarify roles of staff and board
- ensure accountability for achieving shared outcomes
In accordance with the governance model that the UUCA Board utilizes, the Board governs through a set of Board Policies and acts on behalf of the congregation to further the congregation’s mission and chosen Ends. (“Ends” refers to “the difference we make in the world.”) The Board serves as the official link between congregation and the Executive (Rev. Anthony Makar) to whom the Board delegates many operational duties. The Board is responsible for producing written governing policies that, at the broadest levels, provide a framework of expectations and oversight through which the Board governs itself and the UUCA.
On December 14, 2014, the Congregation approved a revision of the UUCA Bylaws that provides a mechanism for taking a public stand. That bylaw (Article VII. Section C) requires that “Board policy shall establish the process by which the Congregation can approve proposals for taking a public stand.” The Board approved the policy establishing the process on January 27, 2015. That policy is included in the Board Polices above as Appendix B.
OTHER RESOURCES related to Policy Governance:
- Training presentations
- 2008 “Flower Power” presentation (PDF file)
- 2013 “Policy Governance in a Nutshell” presentation
- Hotchkiss Policy Governance Diagram
- Summary of Basic Principles of Policy Governance (from UUA)
- UUCA Bylaws, Board Policies & UUCA Executive Policies & Procedures – how they all fit together
- “Making Community” brochure (PDF file and available in brochure rack in UUCA foyer)
- UUCA policy governance blog
- UUWiki on policy governance
- On June 3, 2007, Dr. John Carver, an avid humanist and creator of the Policy Governance model, visited UUCA to speak about his faith journey and about the ways in which Policy Governance is consistent with humanist values. A video DVD and an audio CD of the John Carver session are available from the UUCA library.
- Task Force on Ministry Roles and Responsibilities